The Blog Roll

The Whole Grain Truth- Quinoa

So, I'm going about this all wrong. I thought, "the more information I can share, the better!", right? WRONG! I am sorry- I didn't realize how overwhelming all of the information would be (it was for me- that should have been a sign!). So, I'm taking another route- and I hope this one ends better than the former one.

As requested- and I LOVE Quinoa too!- the first post is all about Quinoa. Feel free to add your comments (and recipes!) if I miss something!

A little background information:
Quinoa is closely related to beets and spinach- in species AND nutritional value. It has been an important food in South America for over 6,000 years, and was considered "the gold of the Incas". Unlike wheat or rice, quinoa contains all essential amino acids, making it a complete protein by itself (this means this is especially good for you vegetarians). It is a good source of fiber (5 grams per 1 cup serving), and protein, as well as vitaimins and minerals like phosphorus, magnesium and iron, and is gluten free for those sensitive to the xantham gum, or gluten, in wheat.

So, this is our beginning. Try some quinoa this week- Malissa Arnold posted some great quinoa recipes, and I have one I'll post tonight. You may like it- you may not. But either way, it's a great big step in the right direction to your and your family's health.

Comments

Popular Posts