The Blog Roll

The Art of Sprouting

It has been a long time since I have posted, and I hope you are all well and happy. I decided that I needed to post again thanks to some friends we had over for brunch today. They came over especially because we had had discussions before about foods that helped improve what they felt was a diet struggling to make them feel really healthy, clean and conscientious of their overall well being. Of course that motivated me to try to share with them all that I know, in 30 minutes. IMPOSSIBLE! But I realized that with all I have experienced since living in New York City, I cannot keep quite about this nutritional beauty any longer.

There is so much to share with you about the art of sprouting that I can only graze the surface right now. The rest is up to you to discover, enjoy and experience for yourself. Here is a link to some information about the science and nutrition behind sprouting. The essence behind this understanding is that it gives you a good understanding of why sprouting might be beneficial to you. I'll give you a couple of reasons here, just for fun:
Soaking and sprouting your grains and legumes releases the Phytic Acid- enzyme prevents the absorption of many of the nutrients found in the food, into your body. When this enzyme is released, the amounts of protein and fiber increase, and the amount of life-building enzymes increase as the sprouts grow. Just like the small sprout of a new seed lives and grows to potentially become a full, complete creation, so do your sprouts also contain all of those beneficial vitamins, minerals, and  the LIFE of that plant- in that tiny little seed. One of my favorite sites: The Nourished Kitchen, can provide you with more answers if you have questions.

So, now that you know what you know, why not try? Get a glass jar or container, and measure 1 cup of your favorite beans. Note: Lentils and Mung Beans sprout the fastest (quinoa is a quick sprouter too, if you have some of that on hand instead!). Pour your measured grain or bean into your glass container. Completely immerse in warm water, with 1Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar (or fresh whey, or kefir- that's another post for another day) and leave to soak overnight (or 12 hours. Whatever comes first). Drain, cover with something that allows the air to circulate but keeps out the flies, and let it sit for about 8 hours. Rinse and drain again. Depending on what you're sprouting, you may already begin to see sprouts after this cycle. If not, let sit for another day. Rinse and drain again, until you begin to see sprouts. Now cook them. The required cooking time is also significantly shorter. Eat them. Enjoy them. They are living. And they are wonderful, tasty, and incredibly good for you. Honor yourself by doing something good for yourself. And for your family. You deserve to have what you are willing to work for.
It's so easy, I promise even your dog can do it- if you have a dog.:-)
Happy Sprouting!
If you have questions, concerns, or comments, speak your mind! I would love to hear from you!

Comments

  1. Very interesting, Amy! So how do you cook them? This is Sister Bahr, BTW, Jesse's mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Amy. I have been doing a little sprouting, but I definitely want to learn more. I have never cooked our sprouted grains/nuts. We have just sprinkled them on granola and in salad. Do you do kefir? That is another thing on my to-do list! I have started making yogurt and kefir will follow one day...soon, I hope. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been so eager to start sprouting. Can't wait to be home in a couple weeks to begin this new part of my health journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is cool. I would like to know more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts