The Blog Roll

A Personal Journey: Beginning Again

I have wanted to do this for a while now, so I decided to just sit down and hash out my thoughts right here and now... finally.

It has been a long time since I have posted anything, and I felt like my nutritional knowledge and ability waxes and wanes so frequently, that I don't know what to share, what to say. I was thinking about this the other day, and I realized that the value is not in what great knowledge I think I have to share, or what astounding research has developed, or whatever- I had forgotten that the purpose for this blog was to share things that I have learned, experiences I have that teach me something valuable, and a chance for me to hear and learn from you. I was too caught up in the "look at me" aspect, and not enough in the "what have I learned", and "what CAN I learn" element that makes this journey for me so inspiring and motivating.

So, I'm going to blog regularly, but keeping in mind that I may only be sharing opinions and feelings, not necessarily founded upon any solid research or facts cited. I will do my best to speak the truth though.
I would also love feedback, thoughts and opinions from whomever reads this, too. I have so much to learn. I know I can learn something from everyone, and I know that I am not the only person who could benefit from you sharing your experiences and thinkings. I would sincerely love and appreciate your presence and comraderie.

As a family we took a trip to Florida over Spring Break, to spend some time with Sam's family. We spent our time at a fantastic resort, and ironically spent much of our time eating. The food was incredible to say the least, and even the pickiest of eaters tried something new during the week- I mean, how could you not? I learned what Baba Ganouj was (it's delicious!), had a delicious salad with green beans, onions, cawliflower and bacon (yum!) that Grace was SO excited to re-make when we returned home (I'll share the recipe later), and enjoyed dessert EVERYDAY- yes, everyday. I was inspired by the variety of creative dishes, and I realized that it's not in the quantity, but QUALITY of healthy food we eat that's important. I have too often found myself mindless eating handfuls of candy, cookies, and chocolates, thinking that I'm enjoying them, or that I need them. I have decided (that's half the battle, right?) that that was the "old" me. The new me is going to think more, and enjoy more. As Mormons often say,"Pride cometh before the fall"- and it's true isn't it? One day in Florida, I thought I had finally reached the point where I could surround myself with temptation and be strong enough to resist because I had been physically satisfied by the enjoyable experience of eating... but psychologically, I was still the same, and I found myself eating more than I needed to, even when it wasn't dessert. I hadn't changed completely. It was the first step of many that I need to take... and I had forgotten that the process and journey are the most important part. Without them, there is no result.

So, this is where we begin again. Another step; another experience; another piece of valuable insight into who I am, and who I want to become. I guess then nutrition is not always about just food- but everything that we were, are and can become, and how we act with the knowledge that we are given. This is our journey.

A wonderful friend of mine has shared some great nutritional articles and news clips with me, so I thought I would share one with you- because we are leading by example, and teaching our children what's important to us... what do you want them to learn from you?
http://www.wdtv.com/wdtv.cfm?func=view&section=5-News&item=Study-Parents-Can-Decrease-Childhood-Obesity-Rates9072

Comments

  1. I hope you share a lot more! I love hearing from you and can always use new ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts