The Blog Roll

The Journey of Dedication and Commitment

I am a little embarrassed after writing the title of my post...

I suppose we all start and stop and start again many projects, habits, resolutions, multiple times in our lives. I mean, isn't that why we set New Year's Resolutions? Because we all begin something, something we promise ourselves we will be committed to, something we want to change, add, or let go in our lives.... and somehow by March we are only sporadically moving forward towards that goal?


I have recently begun to work as a health coach, on my way to becoming certified as that, and a personal trainer. Sometimes the process seems daunting; there are days I don't WANT to start because I don't know WHERE to start... 




So I do. And once I do, it's not as hard as I thought it would be. But one day of beginning does not mean I have mastered that skill. It requires consistent, daily commitment to an end result. We don't just become who we are without the choices that have molded, influenced and enticed us. And so, we also don't become who we want to be, without the consistent, daily decisions that determine our commitment to that person. Is that person valuable enough to you to change who you are today?

Now, I'm not saying that the person I am, or you are, today is not a good person. I am so thankful for the people and the experiences that have shaped who I am today. But I'm not done becoming. I want to be better, and the only way to do that is to look at myself and what is holding me back from becoming a better me. That way begins with one small decision, put into action. Today. Then again tomorrow. And again and again, until it becomes second-nature to us, and we don't even have to think about "choosing" that anymore.

Two weeks ago I had breakfast with a man who has been a health coach for eleven years. I asked him to tell me how he does it, and he answered my question with a question: "Why do you want to be a health coach?"  When I responded, he asked again: "Why?" FIVE times he asked me why. It wasn't until he took me into the deepest part of my reasons that I actually understood WHY. Now I understand better what my choices are, and what I want the result to be because I understand WHY.

What is to be done, now that we have this knowledge in our quiver? Take a step. Just one. Find something you want to do- set a goal. This can be for ANYTHING: Losing weight, learning to play an instrument, running a race, or even moving cities or careers. Then ask yourself WHY (more than once please!)- and you will know what you have to do. The thing that is required of you now that you know, is courage. And you can't have courage unless you are afraid. Beginning a new journey is scary. It's hard. But YOU CAN DO IT. You have done it before. That's how you got to where you are now. It's how you will become a different version of you by 2018. This time, you can begin with the end in mind, and succeed in being the version of you that you want to be! Make it known to the world. What are you going to achieve?
 A personal goal of mine for 2018 is to complete a half Ironman. What are your goals? I would love to know! Need help setting a goal. Let's do it together...

                  Make Today great!
                                                 ➹Amy


"That which we persist in doing becomes easier. Not that the nature of the thing has changed, but the power to do has increased." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comments

Popular Posts