Be Thankful


The following is something I posted on my then newly-created blog, SEVEN years ago. It seems like a dream or a memory, being that long ago. And, I've come a long way in my writing... and still have a LONG way to go! 
Reading this quote reminds me to "count my blessings in grams". If I only focus on those things that I can improve on, the little details of imperfections, then they will grow and grow.... True, it IS important to learn from our experiences, our mistakes, and our weaknesses (it keeps us humble, which allows us to learn); if that is where our focus lies, we will lose the courage, motivation, and confidence to move forward. Our faith in God, and in ourselves will disappear, and thus our joy will diminish, when we do not practice gratitude. It is a temporal action, with a spiritual result. And when our spirit and body are united, we become stronger, life has deeper meaning and purpose, and our happiness is limitless! 
So, what are you thankful for?

A post from the past:

Because we are just as much a spiritual being as we are a physical being, our spiritual health is just as important (and even connected)! So here are my spiritual thoughts on health today.

Yesterday morning I spent some time enjoying yoga outside in the yard. It was nice weather, but the most enjoyable thing was the sounds of the wind rustling the leaves, and the sounds of the birds and animals in the trees. After a while, I realized that there was more to enjoy than just what I saw with my eyes, and what I taste with my mouth. Too often I get caught up in what I'm GOING to do in the next moments, not what's happening in THIS moment. I almost lost that feeling when I came back in and found myself drifting mindlessly toward the pantry, but I caught myself, and enjoyed time with my family that didn't only involve food.

This is something I struggle with, but I'm getting better. "Arouse your faculties"; a statement made by Alma in the Book of Mormon. Pay attention to everything around you, and just be thankful. Think about why you are doing what you are doing, and be thankful for everything. What you eat, everything you smell, see and feel- and maybe we'll begin to be content with what we have, rather than thinking we need more, and then food won't be an obsession; it will be a gift.


Be good and do good,

Amy

Popular Posts